· Justin – what do you think about Winston renting the room? Why do you think he didn’t get caught?
o Andrew – probably wanted them to say something incriminating – let them say stuff before they are caught
o Katherine – telescreen behind picture – let them enjoy that moment because they’re going to get tortured at the end
o Regina – disagree – gov. knows that they’re doing stuff
o Andreina – it was part of O’Brien’s plan all along to catch them – to her, it was a plan
· Justin – going back to Regina – from Winston’s point of view, why do it?
o Katherine – they were going to go against Big Brother and fulfill his own pleasures
o Andrew – rebels take risks
· Andreina – can your torturer be your friend? Winston actually admired O’Brien
o Katherine – said he loved O’Brien because he was the one who could stop the torture
· Randy – p. 253 – “Torture is a method to fix people.” – does this happen in our society?
o Andreina – Holocaust – “fixed” the problem of the Jews
§ North Korea – torture to “fix” them
o Katherine – police use it to interrogate – two-way glass – police beat you?
· Randy – p. 248 – “Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”
o Andreina – if we decided to take away certain things and not teach it, it’s not part of history – no one will know about it
· Justin – “60 Minutes” – war is a drug – are war and torture the same because they satisfy the adrenaline rush?
o Angie – yes – soldiers who come out want to go back in
o Randy – connection to the “Hurt Locker” – main character wanted to go back because he wanted to feel the action – doesn’t feel the same when home
· Andrew – p. 297 – “but it was alright… He had one victory over himself – he loved Big Brother”
o Randy – they did accomplish something
o WHAT IF YOU DON’T ‘ACCOMPLISH’ ANYTHING?
o They went against the party
o Regina – someone’s always watching what you’re doing
o Angie – didn’t die, so nothing happened – so what they did didn’t do anything
o Katherine – maybe not enough to overthrow Big Brother, but enough because they know that they tried
· Justin – is Winston a lunatic?
o Angie – no – it was his instinct with natural rights
o Justin – “just following orders”
o Katherine – if you know you’re going to get killed, you can just follow orders
· Andreina – “being free is slavery, being alone you’re always defeated”… Can a person really master it alone
o Katherine – you can’t make a whole movement on your own
§ They couldn’t bring down Big Brother
o Justin – don’t think being alone means you’re defeated – you can make
o Regina – need someone to achieve something great – to be a doctor, you need teachers to teach you
· Randy – how are prisons similar/different to prisons we have today
o Regina – have more choice in our prisons – more free
§ In her country, they beat prisoners
o Katherine – disagree because
o Andrew – people have more rights now
· Randy – “You can only change a person by force”
o Justin – don’t think so – teachers can’t force you to learn
o Angie – when people are forcing you to learn, they will keep going until they break you down
o Katherine – people can say something, but they might not mean it
o Randy – that’s what O’Brien said