For all of you who didn’t write down the different parts of your homework for this week, here’s what you need to do:
1. For tomorrow’s class, you need to bring your 3 questions for the Socratic Seminar. Since he was shockingly quiet in our last Socratic Seminar, Andrew will have the honor of asking the first question. Make it a good one, Andrew...
2. Due Sunday @11pm: You are going to create sentences on the blog for each of the 10 SAT Vocabulary words I gave you. You can get extra credit if you make them into a story. You will then have a quiz on those 10 words in our class on Wednesday.
3. Due Sunday @11pm: You need to correct last week's "60 Minutes" articles. Keep in mind that you need to give me your original postings (that I gave you in class on Wednesday) or else I can't grade them.
4. Due Sunday @11pm: You are going to go to http://www.realclearpolitics.com and pick an article you’d like to read. This website takes articles from newspapers and magazines from around the U.S. (and the world), with many different points of view, and puts them in one place (which is why I like it). Keep in mind that you might have to look through a few articles to find one that interests you. It can be any article from that day, or the day before – the date doesn’t matter to me. You will write (ON THE BLOG):
a. (1) Write down the title, author, source of the article (what newspaper/magazine is it from), and date that the article appeared on the website (you'll see it up above the list of articles).
b. (2) Summarize what the article is saying. What is the author talking about? What is the issue? What is the author’s opinion on the issue, if indeed he has one?
c. (3) What did you think of the issue? Do you agree or disagree? What have you learned from the article?
d. Find 5 vocabulary words from the article and define them ON THE BLOG.
Everyone should read everyone else's entries on the blog, so that you can learn about all sorts of different issues. However, keep in mind that if you don't write the Title, Author and Source
5. Vocabulary: Everyone will write, in their lovely moleskin notebooks, the 5 words from every person’s blog entries (see #3 above). Basically, you will all have a list of 35 words for each week.
6. Random Thoughts: As discussed last class, please write down any questions you have about ANYTHING that you don’t understand – either things you’ve heard, things you’ve been wondering, anything. If you have the question, there are probably others who have the question as well. I will be calling on you at our Wednesday class to read the questions you have and I reserve the right to just collect all of your notebooks, whenever the mood strikes, to take a look at what you're doing... :)
I will put up separate blog entries for the vocabulary sentences (#2) and the article (#3). If you're confused about any of this, please ask questions here (as opposed to emailing or texting) because I'm sure you won't be the only one with that question.
I think that's enough for now... :)
READY, SET, GO!